Dental assistants greatly increase the efficiency of the dental team in the delivery of quality oral health care and are valuable members of the dental care team. If you have strong communication and interpersonal skills, enjoy working with your hands and want a career with responsibility, dental assisting is for you. Topics included in this class are basic dental sciences, preclinical and clinical skills, radiography, restorative and laboratory materials and techniques, practice management and much more. This hands-on class will give you the tools you need to be successful in the industry. You will earn your BLS CPR Certification and Certificate in Dental Radiation Safety through this course. Books and supplies are all included in the class.
Dental Assistants greatly increase the efficiency of the dental team in the delivery of quality oral health care and are valuable members of the dental care team. Dental assistants perform many tasks, ranging from patient care and taking x-rays to recordkeeping and scheduling appointments. Their duties vary by state and by the dentists’ offices where they work.
- Prepare patient, sterilize or disinfect instruments, set up instrument trays, prepare materials, or assist dentist during dental procedures.
- Record treatment information in patient records.
- Expose dental diagnostic x-rays.
- Take and record medical and dental histories and vital signs of patients.
- Assist dentist in management of medical or dental emergencies.
- Provide postoperative instructions prescribed by dentist.
- Instruct patients in oral hygiene and plaque control programs.
- Order and monitor dental supplies and equipment inventory.
- View local salary and job market information here >>>
Upon successful completion of this program, students will receive a BLS CPR Certification and a Certificate in Dental Radiation Safety. Students will also receive a certificate of completion from Lord Fairfax Community College. Students will not be able to sit for a specific dental certification. However, upon finding and maintaining employment for a period of time, you can be eligible to pursue a DANB certification. For more information, please go to: https://danb.org/Meet-State-Requirements/State-Specific-Information/Virginia.aspx
Download our Dental Assisting Program Student Handbook
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)