Pharmacy Technician Program Frequently Asked Questions
What exam will I take at the end of this class?
- This class will prepare you to take the ExCPT National Exam through the NHA (National Healthcareer Association).
How much is the exam?
- The cost of the exam is included in your tuition. If you need to retake the exam, it is $117.
If I move to another state, will my certification be valid?
- Yes. Since this is a national certification, you would be able to use it anywhere within the US.
Where can I work as a Pharmacy Technician?
- Hospitals, retail stores, grocery stores, mail order pharmacies and assisted living facilities all hire Pharmacy Technicians.
- While some employers do offer their own training programs, others do not. Some places that do offer their own training still prefer to hire someone who is already certified.
What kinds of things will I do as a Pharmacy Tech?
- Receive written, verbal and electronic prescriptions or refill requests and verify that information is complete and accurate.
- Prepack bulk medicines, fill bottles with prescribed medications, and type and affix labels.
- Answer telephones, responding to questions or requests.
- Maintain proper storage and security conditions for drugs.
- Assist customers by answering simple questions, locating items, or referring them to the pharmacist for medication information.
- Price and file prescriptions that have been filled.
- Establish or maintain patient profiles, including lists of medications taken by individual patients.
- Order, label, and count stock of medications, chemicals, or supplies and enter inventory data into computer.
- Receive and store incoming supplies, verify quantities against invoices, check for outdated medications in current inventory, and inform supervisors of stock needs and shortages.
- Mix pharmaceutical preparations, according to written prescriptions.
- Operate cash registers to accept payment from customers.
Is math involved with this class?
- Great question! Yes, you are strongly encouraged to have solid math skills before registering for this class. We will give you some sample questions and answers on the following pages so that you can do a self-assessment to see if you are truly ready and prepared for this class.