Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Certified Personal Trainer (CPT)?
- Certified Personal Trainer, CPT, is the title and accompanying acronym used in the personal fitness training industry for an individual who has been appropriately assessed by a national certifying organization, successfully demonstrating the necessary skill sets of the certified personal trainer by way of the respective assessment. This general title is specified by an organizational distinction with respect to the certification organization that you achieved your certification through. For example, after becoming certified by NFPT, you will use the acronym “NFPT-CPT” as your distinct title for recognition of achievement and skill set competency.
Who should earn a certification in this field?
- Anyone who would like to work in the fitness industry! Due to insurance reasons, most fitness centers will not hire you without a national certification.
Where can I work as CPT?
- With increasing public awareness about the benefits of healthy living and an active lifestyle, the demand for personal trainers has increased exponentially both in private practices and gyms. Right now, the supply is not meeting the demand! This means there’s room for you to make a difference! Become a personal trainer and make your impact official. You can help people with their goals to be healthy and happy.
What are some of the topics covered in the course?
- Principles of Human Anatomy
- Principles of Human Physiology
- Fitness Components
- Training Program Development, Implementation, and Modification
- Profession and Communication Skills
Why is there an attendance policy?
- Attendance is of huge importance due to the amount of information covered in each class period. This is a condensed course, and topics are covered at an accelerated pace. Regularly missing class will hinder your ability to be well prepared for the national certification exam. Furthermore, poor attendance is one of the biggest reasons employers site for firing employees. It is in your best interest to make good attendance a priority not just in your school life, but your work life as well.
Why is there a dress code?
- A student’s personal presentation is important in the fitness industry both to find employment and to maintain it.
For lab days, students should come prepared and ready to participate in active lab sessions. Clothing such as the following is acceptable:
- Athletic Shoes
- Workout pants or shorts
- Clean activewear top that covers the torso
- No open-toed shoes or clothing with rivets or other metal objects is allowed
Is NFPT recognized?
- Yes, NFPT is nationally and internationally recognized. NFPT has certified trainers for over 30 years and is therefore included as a pre-requisite to employment. Though health clubs and wellness facilities will establish their own independent approved provider lists (meaning that NFPT can make no guarantee of being included on the list for every club/facility), NFPT does maintain prominent industry position and is widely recognized and accepted as one of the leading CPT providers. For most health clubs, the requirement for trainers is that they receive a certification from an accredited certification program – we have you covered there!
Once I finished the course and earn my certification, what are my next steps?
- Every student who successfully completes the course and earns their credential will receive a guaranteed interview. Upon interviewing you may qualify for an externship and/or employment with Body Renew Fitness.
- Students are free to apply anywhere or they may set up their own externship.